Skip to main content

They Just Do

In the last several years, I’ve made a radical shift in philosophy. Rather than seeing children as people who need to learn a checklist of skills by a certain time, I’ve begun seeing children as self-motivated learners, capable of taking in information as they need it to make sense of their world. This is mostly because I am a terrible student in traditional means. If I have a question about why a plant in my garden is growing poorly, or how to make my home computer network work together better, or how to conjugate an irregular verb in Spanish, I’ll read heaps of books and credible websites until my initial question is answered. Why would I be so egotistical as to assume that my brain is somehow special? Why would anyone expect that brains suddenly develop this capability at age eighteen or whenever compulsory education ends? People don’t stop learning because they’re not in school; people don’t stop learning, period. When was the last time someone sat down a three-year-old and intentionally taught him the name of every dinosaur that existed in the Jurassic Period, with flash cards and impromptu quizzes filling any empty moments? Yet we insist on drilling children this same age with letters and numbers, despite our information having less bearing on this child’s life than a Protoceratops (at least in the cases where the adult drives this exploration. For the sake of this entry, I’m writing about a child who sees no need to read or write on his own, although there are many people who are driven to read and write between three and five years or age, with or without concerted adult guidance.) Children will read, write, count, and discover mathematical functions as they see the need to in their lives, just as they began to gesture, speak, and walk.


This isn’t to say I don’t still feel the pressure of ensuring “adequacy” by these same checklists that are embedded in my brain. But when children are ready, they do. My favorite example of this is a four year old in my care who loved to paint, but did nothing with the materials but make mixed-color brown-gray blob after mixed-color brown-gray blob. I tried to honor the process and see the value, but I saw the blogs and writings of educators I admired whose four-year-olds all seemed to be creating accurate depictions of people, plants, and animals, and my four-year-old was creating heaps. Then… Easter came. And this child who would not paint a representation just days prior sat down and painted eight pages of patterned, distinctly colored Easter eggs, and rabbits, and grass, and baskets. Because SHE wanted to represent the excitement of the egg hunt, the love of being surrounded by her extended family for the holiday, and the buckets of chocolate. Prior to making the connection between a tangible representation of her excitement and the materials, she was discovering important foundational skills. How to ensure an even coat of paint, what happens when colors mix, what types of marks thick brushes make in comparison to thin brushes, how much paint a piece of paper can take prior to tearing, and on and on. Had she not discovered these independent steps, she would have had no practical knowledge base with which to build the ovals and circles and lines necessary to demonstrate her vision of Easter. 

Every action leads to changes in the brain- i.e. learning. It is probably fair to say that most adults don't have the meta-cognitive ability to notice their own learning until it hits a critical mass- and I suspect the same is true as we observe children. The child who has been spinning in circles for weeks on the ground suddenly climbs on a jungle gym as if it were nothing; she was developing the proprioceptive skills necessary to climb, even if no one around her saw the connection. And yet, how often do adults try to stop these developmental activities because they appear at first glance to be meaningless? What if, instead of redirecting what a child is doing, we do our own research into what connections might be forming? What if we took those opportunities to extend their experimentation and give them vocabulary to describe what they're doing sometimes? What if we left them to their experiments as we would any other scientist, present but only intervening when there was a true hazard to the child? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feelings

I saw an interaction this morning that stopped me in my tracks. A child, newly three, was crying because he had lost a toy in the car. Then he began yelling. Then kicking. The upset kept intensifying as his caregiver watched, not wanting to stop him from getting through his feelings (as she told another adult who asked if she could assist). She's surely been told somewhere along the line that accepting children's feelings means not stopping them. Yay!...But she's missing some follow -up. Children need to know that it's okay to be angry or sad or excited or whatever else they feel. But they also sometimes need help getting through to the calm after. An adult standing by, mute, communicates a lack of interest, not acceptance. The child intensifies, needing guidance and reassurance. The adult, so good - heartedly eager to accept the child as they are, remains unphased. The child cries out more for the centering that occurs when an adult they're attached to can initia

Well, Duh.

 Friday afternoon, I walked back into my classroom to a scene that is not unusual in any group of young children. One child had just hit another (both three years old), attempting to get a coveted toy. I walked over to the two, and as I always do, I looked at the crying child who had been hit and said, "Wow, it looks like Y is really hurting." Then, I recognized that wasn't the whole picture, and looked at the child who had hit (this time), who was already averting their eyes, and said, "It looks like A is hurting too." A turned around, stunned at my ability to perceive what was obvious to them. This time, at least. "Yeah!" They exclaimed. Y stopped crying and looked at A. I offered hugs to both, and attempted to sportscast what I saw. "A wanted that toy, and Y had it! Y didn't want to be hit." A looked at Y, and said, "Yeah, and I really wanted the truck, but I didn't want to hurt you." Both children found a spot i

"Why Didn't You Tell Me That?"

Everyone knows the feeling of being at the top of their game. In early childhood, that looks a little different than in other professions. The playground where I work is divided into two levels, out of necessity (Bay Area real estate is at a premium!). The upper level has our play structure and a fair amount of open area to run. The bottom level is a little more compact. The steps at my school are not unsafe, but they are wood steps, and on this particular day, they were wet. This child knows "we don't play on the stairs," but there were robbers to be chased down, and the stairs were playable area. As the child started his descent, I had that moment of clarity. I walked over to him, made eye contact, and said, "Hey, do you know why I don't let you play on the stairs?" He shook his head. "Do you remember the ice you saw on the bench? That's on the stairs too, and I don't want you to slip and fall." He digested this for a moment,